Straight Hair


 
So,
this thing befuddles me.
The girls said,
"Mom, get a straight iron."
Not wanting to be labeled
behind the times,
I bit.
I spent $25.88
on this thing.
I brought it home,
plugged it in,
prepared to see a miracle.
Years off my hairstyle.
With the times.
You know,
younger.
 
Nothing.
I don't get it.
If I wanted my hair to look
flat and straight
like it does when
I get out of the shower...
or a rainy day...
or a humid day...
or just out of the pool,
I could have saved
$25.88
and just dumped a bucket of water over my head.
 
Straight and flat.
I have never had a problem with that.
And in a brief period
in the 70's
I was completely in style.
Straight and flat.
No need to iron my hair.
Wash and go.
Eighth grade to my Junior year.
I was envied for my hair.
Glory Days.
 
Now for the flat iron...
they said
"Use it like a curling iron."
Why?
I already had a curling iron that I use...
you guessed it,
like a curling iron!
 
The flat iron is under the sink
in that never land of
hairsprays,
mousse,
gel,
glue
and other products I use now to
NOT HAVE STRAIGHT HAIR!!!
 
Honestly, do they know me?
Hello, I am your mother,
the one who had awesome hair,
1971-1975
 
Before
You
Were
Born
 



Comments

Laurie said…
Too funny! I never understood the difference in using a flat iron as a curling iron when that was what a curling iron was for. I'll just stick wit what's on my head right now! It may be graying, but I like it.
Laurie said…
I'm with you! Last time I had my hair cut the stylist used a straight iron (on my perfectly straight hair) and told me the same thing, use it like a curling iron. I guess I just don't get it either, I'll just continue to wash and wear!!

Popular posts from this blog

Walker/Wheelchair Bag Tutorial

Sharpie Markers and Alcohol = Really Quick Art

McDonald's Salt Packets and the Shelby Tree