Wool Owl Tutorial

 You will need:
Lightweight cardboard or card stock
Freezer paper
Scraps of felted wool or other fabrics.
Small amount of embroidery floss
Small amount of Polyfil
Regular sewing supplies.
2 small buttons.
and
a short amount of time!

If you right click on this picture and copy it to your computer
you will then be able to print this out for your pattern.
I am not sure about the sizing. 
You may have to play around with that.
Sorry, I am not a computer whiz!





I always use a circle template for my circles. 
Trace the pattern pieces onto heavy card stock or lightweight cardboard
and cut out.
Then trace them onto freezer paper.

Head on over to your stash of wool.
Mine just happened to be still laying on the floor from the last project.

And pick out your colors...
then iron the pattern on to the wool.
The waxy side sticks just enough.

Cut out all pieces.
(That is my favorite part)



Begin blanket stitching everything down. 
I start with this side and go to the other wing,
then straight to the eyes and nose. 
You never have to break and knot the thread that way.
Shortcuts...that is what it is all about!

Now when you get to this point, you might notice that that pattern,
or your (my) sewing is not exact on the wings.
Just trim that up and you are good to go.

Sew around the edges with a blanket stitch and stuff with a small amount of Polyfil.

Stitch up the rest and you have a cute little bowl filler or ornament.

I took the liberty and artistic license to make them smaller.
The first idea was not mine though! 
Also, I have used scraps of other fabric than wool for the eyes, beak and wings on some of them.
Some of it is very hard to sew through though, so be careful what you choose.

Comments

Laurie said…
These are ADORABLE! Thanks for sharing the tutorial, a great way to use up scraps!
I Love them! Thanks for sharing!
Oh, my goodness...those are just way too cute! Thank you for sharing the steps with us. I'm looking forward to getting into my sewing studio.

Happy Saturday ~Natalie
Ann said…
Cute, cute, cute! Thanks for sharing. I still have my bunny out that I made from the pattern you shared back before Easter - I just don't want to pack him away! ~Ann
Lesley said…
How on God's green earth do you find time??? Grandkids, kids of your own, full time work, church work, and doing tutorials. My goodness girl, you must never sleep or do you just do naps frequently. LOL
Love the tutorial. Looks fun.
PS love that wool pile.
Adorable!
Thanks for sharing!
Prim Blessings
Robin
Anonymous said…
How cute Cath...I might make some for my teacher friends...aka professors since we all have so much "wisdom" as the owl represents....hehe...a cute gift idea! Thanks!
patti :)
Firecracker Kid said…
How neat, I like those. A good project for those leftover scraps. Thanks for sharing:)
xoxo~Carol
Anonymous said…
I'm so glad to have found you today,, I love these little owls,, your work is beautiful,, I think I'm your newest follower!!
Amber said…
I love these! I just pinned them to my "crafting" Pinterest board. I've got a big bag of wool that I felted a couple of years ago. These would be perfect.
I've always wanted to make some little owls! These are precious! Thanks for sharing the pattern. Sweet hugs!

Popular posts from this blog

Walker/Wheelchair Bag Tutorial

Sharpie Markers and Alcohol = Really Quick Art

McDonald's Salt Packets and the Shelby Tree