Butternut Squash, anyone?

Really, we have lots! 
Wednesday found Jenn and Kendall and I at the auction.
Smicksburg Produce Auction.
Jenn wanted some tomatoes for salsa
peppers for a couple of things
and apples for an apple butter recipe that you make in the slow cooker.
She doesn't like to bid.
I LOVE to bid.
Auction fever, I guess.
JWS kept saying he wanted to make some soup.
One of us mentioned my friend Carol's Butternut Squash soup.
Let's back up.
This auction draws grocery stores
and produce markets
from all over.
So the lots are BIG.
But,
if you are canning...
I swear you can't grow it in your garden any cheaper.
So,
that would explain this rather large bag of butternut squash?
One would think so.
Or the fact that I love to bid...
or the fact that this was the ONLY lot of butternut squash.
So here's the concept of wholesale/retail as I see it.
Because most of these people are buying to resell their items,
they want the bottom end price.
Because I am buying from the retail end,
I can pay a little more.
But on to the sqaush.
There are lots of them in my pantry.
We are going to be turning orange before we get all of them eaten.
So here's my first recipe.
I'll be the first to admit,
this is NOT the blog that you come to for recipes.
or
Household Hints
or
Cleaning Tips
or
well anything much domestic.
But
Kendall fell asleep on the way home from the auction
and I thought that was good enough reason to take the afternoon off!
So while Kendall slept.
I made this soup from ideas from several recipes.

You will need:
Two butternut squash
(Really, only two)
1 large onion
2 large cans of chicken broth
1 stick of butter
2 large sweet potatoes.
(I found them in the pantry and thought, why not?)
nutmeg, fresh ground is way better
garlic
salt
pepper

Melt the stick of butter in a large pan,
add the onions and cook until transparent.
Add the two cans of chicken broth.
Peel and cut the squash and sweet potatoes into 1" squares and
add to the pot.
(This is the worst part of the whole thing.  That squash is really hard to cut up)
Cook, cook, cook.
Add the nutmeg, garlic, salt and pepper.
Cook some more.
About 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.
Puree in the pot if you happen to have one of those handy pot puree things.
I just happened to find one in the pantry. 
Not sure where it might have come from...
( I think that JWS might have stole it from his Mom's)
If not, I suppose you are going to have to scoop it out and put it in your food processor
or mixer or
well you can figure that out!

Anyway, it was really good! 


Tyler, Logan, Gracelyn and I went on a walk last night,
Through the fairgrounds where I gathered all these flowers,
and maybe a few weeds.

But it was house cleaning day and I just thought that some fresh things would make it even better


Some projects I am working on...

Not going to be done for the Pumpkin Fest...

But, hopefully the open house.

Comments

LOL! I've never had butternut squash, but your soup recipe sounds yummy as well as heathly. I might just have to try it. I hope you will post photos of your finishes as what you've shown looks great.
Anonymous said…
never tried growing or eating butternut squash...I grew some white round squash with green lines this year but haven't tried them yet...hehe...love your punkin project so far. I'm in a crafting slump right now!! love the flowers too!
patti
TheCrankyCrow said…
Holy SQUASH!! But YUMMM...I so love squash!! Is this soup on the sweeter side (i.e., with the sweet potatoes and nutmeg) or more robust tasting.....??? Most of the ones I've ever been exposed to have been sweeter and I prefer the robust/hearty side.... In any event, you rock Betty....unh...I mean Cathy....Have a happy weekend!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin
Laurie said…
I LOVE butternut squash, it's one of my favorites of the winter squash's. That and turban squash. Mmmmmm. The soup sounds awesome!!!!
Lois said…
Hi Cathy!
That soup sounds really ynummie!
I love squash of any kind so much that I feel it should it's own designation as a food group. It should not go under the Vegetable heading. Sort of like chocolate...they put that under milk....hmmmm....it should also have it's own designation...don't you think?
Lois

Popular posts from this blog

Walker/Wheelchair Bag Tutorial

Sharpie Markers and Alcohol = Really Quick Art

McDonald's Salt Packets and the Shelby Tree