Pumpkin Face Tutorial

Someone asked me about the pumpkin faces last week.
Here are the steps that I use to make the faces.

First of all,
base coat whatever you are using
with shades of orange.
 
You can read about how to do the background
or
 
(Somewhere on this blog, I posted a whole tutorial on backgrounds,
think I can find it? 
Of course not.)
 
Then trace on your face.
I use chalk,
freehand it!
Honestly, they are all different.
 
One little word of caution.
If you are using pan lids,
I drill the hole before I paint them
and make sure that hole is at the top when you start painting.
 
All mistakes that I have made and that we are not going to talk about.
Just trust me.
 
 
I paint the faces with white first.
Yellow just takes too many coats.
 
Then Yellow
and
yellow again.
Paint the noses (handles) black.
 
Sideload a bright red on the bottom of the eyes and mouth.
 
Then, with a dark red/maroon
think about the left and bottom side of the eyes and mouth.
I use a 1/4 inch brush with the paint thinned.
 
Think of the cut inside edge of the pumpkin.
You paint this on the orange, not the yellow.
I put checkers around the edges of the lid with the same color.
 
Then outline everything with thinned black.
Add some leaves and vines to the top, if you wish.
 
Now make about 20 more!
Don't forget to send pics to me if you make some....
really,
hardly anyone ever sends pics to me! 

Comments

Hi! I can't imagine why no one sends you pictures of their things from your tutorials. You do a wonderful job and are truly an artist. (I took a couple of tole painting classes and learned (?) some of the things you mention for the pumpkin faces.) They are darling and I wish I had time to find some pot lids so I could try it! Keep those tuts coming, you do a really good job explaining and showing the pictures.
Happy Halloween. {{HUGS}} Joy
Aren't those cute!!!
TFS ~ hope someone makes some up and shares them with you!
Prim Blessings
Robin
Ann said…
If I ever get brave enough to try this I will send you a picture no matter how bad it turns out....lol
These are adorable. How do you get the checkers on the edge so perfect?
What a great tutorial and the pumpkins are adorable.
Karen

Popular posts from this blog

Walker/Wheelchair Bag Tutorial

Sharpie Markers and Alcohol = Really Quick Art

McDonald's Salt Packets and the Shelby Tree