Drapery Lining Pennant Tutorial


 
First of all,
I bought this drapery lining
thinking it was the Roclon product
that everyone is painting on.
 
It was not. 
So it was tossed into the stash.
 
In the archeological dig
that I am calling
Painting My Way Out Of My Paint Room,
I unearthed it.
In the middle of the night,
it came to me...
Pennants!
 
So here is what I did.

Made a template. 
 
Vinyl flooring makes the greatest patterns!
 
You can choose what size you make,
it's pretty simple fourth grade geometry.

Make sure that you make that little area on the top to fold over.

Trace them onto the fabric.
Now I know that I could have utilized this better by making them go both ways.
But honestly,
I have lots
and
it was cheap.

You can see that I started alternating them
and
then thought, "why?"
Paint them your choice of colors,
painting right over the lines.
 
Because really,
staying in the lines is overrated.

When dry,
lightly sand.
Retrace the ones that you can't see.


Then repaint them
and
shade the edges.

 
In the event that you like my colors,
here is what I used.
The purple shading is a mix of the blue and the red.

Then,
grab your creativity
and
decorate.
 
Let the colors flow,
 
Try different combinations
that you would not normally use!
 
Be brave! 
 
Really,
this stuff is cheap,
it's a great place to experiment.
 
Dig out stencils,
try stripes
and
checks
and
plaid
and
polka dots
and
swirls.
 
Let them dry and varnish. 
 
I used a flat outdoor varnish.

Retrace them if needed
and
cut out.

Dig out that glue gun
and
some twine,
or jute,
or ribbon,
or ric rac.
 
 
And glue away.
 
 
 
 

 
Now, how fun are these? 
How many combinations could you make?
 
They would make a great gift for a kid's room,
baby's room,
deck,
porch,
doorway,
you name it. 
 
I love pennants! 
 
They are showing up everywhere at my house.
 
So festive!
 
For more pennant posts:
Fabric pennants
Wood Pennants
Camper Pennants
 
By the way,
I did order the RIGHT stuff this morning. 
 
Have to wait and see what I might do with it!
 

Comments

Sheila said…
You have to be the most resourceful crafter I've yet to meet!
Love the pennants!
Love the pennants Cathy.
Have a wonderful Sunday!

Sandi
Amber said…
It looks great!
Unknown said…
I really enjoy your free patterns
thank you so those wonderful gifts.but how do I print out your tutorials?

Popular posts from this blog

Walker/Wheelchair Bag Tutorial

Sharpie Markers and Alcohol = Really Quick Art

McDonald's Salt Packets and the Shelby Tree