Old Brown Singer

Back to the basics.
 
That is what this machine is. 
 
I learned to sew on an old brown Singer in the late 60’s. 
My mom’s was fancier than this one. 
It actually made some fancy stitches 
and 
this is just a straight stitch. 
I could not wait to get a new fancy sewing machine, 
it was what I asked for when I graduated from high school. 
I researched and chose a JC Penney machine. 
It served me well for years,
while my mom kept using the old brown Singer. 
Eventually mom’s machine was retired. 
Where it went is actually sketchy.  
Mom moved on and has had several new machines. 
I have had a couple of newer Singers, 
a Brother that worked hard for many years, 
but always on the lookout for an 
Old Brown Singer. 
I found this one and another at yard sales. 
They are sisters. 
The one sister needs a little help, but this one keeps plugging away.
I also have a newer Singer
that does some fancy stitches, but
for straight, regular stitching, 
I always return to this little girl. 
She is a workhorse.   
 
As a side note, 
I will buy one like my mom, and my grandmother 
had if I ever find one. 
 
Because, you can never have too many sewing machines.  

Comments

TheCrankyCrow said…
Ha ha....that last sentence sounds exactly like my SIL. It must be a quilter thing LOL. I learned to sew on the Nechhi machines at school during "home ec." My mom had an Nelco....a wonderful marriage of a Nechhi and Elna.... Not sure what happened to that either....think my niece might have gotten it when my mom went into assisted living. The only machine I have personally owned is my beloved Bernina...an older version of what's out there now, but I still love her. Happy New Year! ~Robin~

Popular posts from this blog

Walker/Wheelchair Bag Tutorial

Sharpie Markers and Alcohol = Really Quick Art

Steps to a snowman face, Part 1.